Chris and I spent last night and today creating the webbing surfaces. I must say that it looks amazing and these pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. Here are a ton of pictures from today.
In progress documentation of current projects that I am working on
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
This past weekend I was part of a workshop entitled A Large collection of very small things with sculptor Steven Siegel that dealt with organic process and serendipitous occasions. We spent 3 days creating a sculpture base completely on process. It was frustrating at times but mostly fun. Here was what I ended up with in the end.
Here are some pictures of what I've been doing the past week. The trussed chair has been primed and is looking good in white. I'm so happy with how it looks that I think the final paint will be a gloss white. Also, I have been working on a sling chair that will be part of my show. In the picture you can see the almost completed base which will support a slung seat of either industrial felt or some sort of macrome rope surface. I've also thrown in a picture of a sign that I was hired to make for a local shop on Penn Ave. because I'm really happy with how it turned out. Brushed aluminum and orange is HOT. On top of that, I've been diligently working on some colographs for a print class and will post pictures of them when they are finished.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
So I finally finished welding the frame. I think it looks great. Tonight I will be priming it for an in progress critique tomorrow with Dan Kramer. Now I have to make 20 stainless triangle rings and sew all of the webbing. It won't be long now before I can assemble everything and see how it looks. My schedule is getting tight but I think everything is under control at the moment. I will also be photoshoping color onto the frame soon and might post some renders.
Monday, March 2, 2009
The form of the chair is finally beginning to take shape. Here are some photos of what the trussing is going to look like. The welds look pretty good so I think I have decided to leave them visible on the final chair rather than try to smooth them out. This part of the process has been taking far more time than expected so I won't be done with it for a week or two. Once it's done I will post a picture of the finished frame and then start doing tests for the webbing which will be held on with grommets and springs much like the seat surface of the LC1.